The winter months are finally here, which, for a lot of us, means that we’re craving something warm in our lives. Look no further, we’ve got some of our favorite warm paleo soup recipes here to keep you toasty throughout the harshest of winter weather. Enjoy!
Featured Paleo recipe of the day: Roasted Garlic and Butternut Squash Soup
From: Real Food Forager
- 3 lb Butternut Squash, peeled and cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 lb Carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 2 quarts Homemade Chicken Stock
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 bulbs Roasted Garlic,
- 1 t. dried, ground Lemongrass
- 3 T. Butter
- Salt, to taste
- 1/3 c. Sunflower Seeds (optional)
- Put the squash, carrots, chicken stock and bay leaves in a large stockpot and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Simmer until carrots and squash are tender. Turn off the heat and remove the bay leaves. Meanwhile, peel the garlic cloves.
- Add the peeled garlic to the cooked carrots and squash, along with the lemongrass. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until completely smooth, using a towel to cover the air hole on the lid to let steam escape. Alternately, use an immersion blender. Wipe down the stockpot and put the pureed soup back in.
- Put the butter in a small saucepan and heat on medium; it will bubble and brown over the course of a few minutes. Once it smells toasty and is a nice golden caramel color, pull it off the heat and stir in to the soup. Keep the butter pan on the heat and add the sunflower seeds, stirring occasionally until they are fragrant and toasted.
- Season the soup to taste with salt. Serve garnished with a sprinkling of sunflower seeds. Makes 8-10 servings.
Featured Paleo recipe of the day: Egg Drop Soup
- 1 diced onion
- 1-2 stalks celery (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter, ghee or coconut oil (some paleo/primal folks will probably want to skip the dairy)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (for you non-GAPSters)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil (optional)
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ -1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions (optional)
- Add butter/ghee/coconut oil to a medium-sized pot and warm over low/med heat. Add onions and celery and saute until soft
- Add the chicken broth, optional soy sauce, salt, pepper and sesame oil. Bring to a boil.
- Stir gently while you slowly pour in the egg.
- Season with chives before serving.
Other soup recipes from our favorite Paleo sites: